How I Spent 2 Days at WDW for Under $200

I think we can all agree that Walt Disney World is a magical place where dreams come true...just ask their super successful 2006 marketing campaign. We can probably also agree that that magic can come with a pretty hefty price tag. As someone with a profound love of Disney Parks (and a limited budget) I have recently made it my mission to prove that you could enjoy a magical Disney getaway without breaking the bank! Here's how I managed a 2 day, 1 night Disney trip for a total of $183!

What I spent my money on:
  • Hotel- $35. Gaby and I found a great deal through google for the Clarion Inn Lake Buena Vista. The room was clean and comfortable, and the hotel was only a 10 minute drive from WDW! I highly recommend this place for anyone traveling to Disney on a budget.  
  • Tolls- $16. This is the cost of tolls from Miami to Disney World. Gaby paid for the tolls on the way back.   
  • Breakfast at Sleepy Hollow in MK- $12. Here's where it starts to get fun! My breakfast consisted of a giant Mickey waffle, smothered in strawberries and whipped cream, and an iced coffee. The waffle was the bomb.com, but the coffee was a little too sweet for my taste. It may not look like a lot, but it was so filling, and we had breakfast late enough that we were able to forgo a full lunch.
  • Autographed "Belle" Print & Meet and Greet with Paige O'Hara- $26. Yes, this really happened! We decided to park hop over to EPCOT to enjoy one of the last days of the Festival of the Arts, and as we were walking towards the World Showcase we saw a lovely artist, meeting people and signing prints...the artist was Disney Legend Paige O'Hara (voice of Belle). Prints were selling for $40, but Cast Member discounts were applicable, so I snatched a print, and we got in line to meet her. That's $26 for a childhood DREAM COME TRUE!  
  • Booze- $26. At EPCOT I decided to be fancy and treat myself to a pretty pink Froze in the France Pavilion ($11 at the L'Art du Cuisine Francaise booth). It was tasty and cold, but nothing to write home about, really. Then, after we walked around the World Showcase for a bit, we decided to make a stop at the Polynesian Resort's Trader Sam's Grog Grotto on our way back to Magic Kingdom, since I had never been. There I had a Shrunken Zombie Head (not for the faint of heart, btw) for $15. Now, I know that's a lot for one drink, but the ambiance at Trader Sams is totally worth the money!  
 
  • Dinner at Casey's Corner- $9. Okay. Casey's Corner on Main Street USA has become my absolute favorite place to grab lunch/dinner in Magic Kingdom. The price includes a plate of 10 yummy corn dog nuggets AND fries! It's a perfectly priced meal for chillin on the Hub Grass or watching Happily Ever After (like we did)! 
  • Aloe Gel- $8. This one hurts me to write. I am fully aware that I WAY over-payed for this, but I forgot to put on sunscreen and didn't realize how badly I had gotten burned until after we had gotten to the hotel, so I had to buy it at the hotel convenience store. Pro tip: don't forget sunscreen, and bring your own aloe gel, just in case.
  • Bon Voyage Breakfast Adventure at Trattoria Al Forno- $51. I won't go into too much detail, because I'll probably do an entire blog post about this breakfast at some point, I loved it that much. The breakfast is $36/person plus tax & tip, but Gaby and I splurged a little and got the fresh pressed pot of coffee for an extra $8 (it was totally worth the extra money, y'all). The food here is AMAZING and they give you a lot of it...not to mention it's a character meal featuring none other than our barefoot queens Ariel and Rapunzel, and their loves Eric and Flynn. I know $51 for breakfast is pricey, but I would happily pay it again for this place!



What I didn't spend money on:
  • Park Entrance- As an annual pass holder, I don't have to buy tickets into the park each time I go. However, if you are not a passholder and budgeting for a trip, the cost of a One Day Parkhopper ticket (what we would have used on this particular trip) is $175 + tax.
  • Gas- We borrowed my sister's car for this trip and were so lucky that she filled up the tank for us before giving me the keys. We also got lucky that her car gets great gas mileage and we were able to get to WDW and back on one tank of gas! Your budget for gas depends on how much it costs you to fill up your tank, and how far a tank of gas can take you in your car.
  • Discounts- As a passholder (and as a cast member) I definitely took advantage of every discount I am eligible for! If you are an AP, CM, or DVC member, always make sure to ask about discounts on merchandise and dining at the parks. It costs you nothing to ask, and it can save you a ton of money over the course of your trip.  

So friends, I leave you with this: Disney can be really expensive, but it doesn't always have to be. If you plan your budget right, you can still have an absolutely magical time without breaking the bank. At no point during my $200 trip did I feel like I was missing out on something I couldn't afford. In fact, I was actually so busy having fun I didn't even notice I forgot to have my mandatory Mickey Premium bar on this trip! Oh well...with the money I saved on this trip, I can have two next time ;)  


Comments

Popular Posts